Bradley International Airport (IATA: BDL, ICAO: KBDL) is a public airport located in the three towns of Windsor Locks,
Suffield and East Granby in Hartford County, Connecticut. Located north of Hartford and just south of Springfield,
Massachusetts, it is Connecticut's busiest commercial airport and the second-busiest airport in New England after
Boston's Logan International Airport. A total of 7,381,372 passengers traveled through Bradley International Airport
in 2005, up 9.63 percent from 2004.
Bradley has its origins in the 1940 acquisition of 1700 acres (7 km²) of land in Windsor Locks by the State of Connecticut.
In 1941, this land was turned over to the U. S. Army, as the country began its preparations for the impending war.
Less than a year after the Army assumed control, the field at Windsor Locks had its first fatality. Among those assigned
to duty in Windsor Locks was the young Lt. Eugene M. Bradley of Antler, OK. While participating in a training drill, Lt.
Bradley's P-40 crashed on August 21, 1941. Following a funeral at Talarski Funeral Home in Hartford, Lt. Bradley's remains
were interred in the national cemetery in San Antonio, Texas.
The people of Connecticut did not forget the sacrifice of Lt. Bradley. There was a groundswell of sentiment in favor of
naming the airfield in Windsor Locks in honor of the courageous airman. For bravery that led to the ultimate sacrifice,
the airfield was renamed Army Air Base, Bradley Field, CT on January 20, 1942.
As it returned to civilian use, the airfield in Windsor Locks became known as Bradley International Airport. With the
arrival of Eastern Air Lines Flight 624 in 1947, civilian air travel at the airport commenced. International shipping
operations at the airport began during the same year. It eventually came to replace the older, smaller Hartford-Brainard
Airport as Hartford's primary airport.